In partnership with Dallas County, Jewish Family Service will be providing housing assistance for those individuals affected by the COVID-19 crisis who live outside the city of Dallas, but within Dallas County.
We have also set up a dedicated phone line for this program where information will also come available soon: (214) 390-4795.
For eligible individuals and households who principally reside within Dallas County, excluding the City of Dallas which has its own housing assistance program.
- Principal residence must have been within the eligible area since at least March 1, 2020
- Housing units must meet HUD’s Housing Quality Standards and possess a rent that does not exceed the County’s reasonable rent standard
- Applicants must possess household incomes of 80% or less of the Dallas area median income and provide proof that their incomes have been adversely affected by the current pandemic (loss of job, reduced hours, reduction in pay, increased healthcare expenses, added childcare expenses.
- Applicants cannot already be receiving CARES Act‐funded housing assistance from another entity or agency,
- Applicants cannot be currently occupying housing owned by an immediate family member, utilizing a housing choice/project-based voucher, or living in public housing.
- Meeting these criteria does not obligate the County or it’s non-profit partners to provide assistance to any applicant.
A maximum amount of $1,500 per month for up to three months will be provided under this program for housing expenses such as rent, mortgage payments, and utilities. Funds can be used to pay all of any part of these expenses, including arrears that occurred after (but not before) March 1, 2020. Funds will be issued in the form of a grant and will be paid directly to the landlord or mortgagee on behalf of the applicant. Provided assistance will never exceed the difference between 30% of the household’s income and the program’s reasonable rent standard. Assistance will not be provided to households without prior approval from Dallas County.
Do I get the money directly?
No, the money is paid directly to the landlord for rental assistance and the lender for mortgage assistance or to the utility provider. Your landlord/mortgage company/utility provider must be willing to accept payment from any of the three non-profits partners on your behalf.
I have access to the internet, how do I apply for COVID-19 mortgage / rental assistance?
Starting Tuesday, May 12, please complete an online application available at this page. The application is available in English and Spanish languages.
I do not have access to the internet, how do I apply for COVID-19 mortgage / rental assistance?
Starting Tuesday, May 12, please call (214) 390-4795 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. to be screened over the phone. Please leave a message if you are unable to get through to a staff member. Due to high call volume, please be prepared for a delay or a busy signal. Intake is available to assist in English and in Spanish.
Will I have to pay the money back in the future?
No. The assistance is in the form of a grant, not a loan.
Are non-citizens who do not have all the eligibility documentation listed able to apply for the COVID-19 emergency rental or mortgage assistance programs?
Yes, undocumented individuals, who may not possess a US/Texas ID are still eligible to apply through any of the three non-profits partners applications.
Can I apply and receive assistance with more than one of the agencies at the same time?
When a client starts the process with one of the agencies, they are expected to stay with that agency for the duration of the grant process. The funding is for up to 3 months of support – cumulative – however, it does not need to be consecutive months. Also, funds cannot be utilized simultaneously from multiple organizations.
I am a landlord, mortgage lender or utility provider, how do I get paid?
You will be contacted by staff at the email or phone number the client provided with the next steps once your tenant, mortgage, or utility client is approved for this grant. Payment will be processed within 2 weeks from grant approval.
Download and Share:
Questions can be submitted to email@example.com.
If you are looking for additional services and forms of support that Jewish Family Service can provide, please call our main line at 972-437-9950.