When to See a Fertility Specialist

By Jerald Goldstein, MD & Daniel Skora, MD, Fertility Specialists of Texas

Discover when to see a fertility specialist for help conceiving

Some people who are trying to start or grow their family find that it is easy for them. However, others who want nothing more than to conceive may see one negative pregnancy test after another. They may find themselves wondering when to see a fertility specialist.

If this sounds like you, you aren’t alone. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that about 12% of women in the United States will have trouble conceiving or carrying a pregnancy to term. Thankfully, seeing a fertility doctor can often help make parenthood possible.

Why should you see a fertility doctor?

Often, people think that they just need to keep trying to welcome a baby on their own. They believe, with enough time and effort, they’ll finally see that positive pregnancy test. However, this thinking often leads to frustration and makes it take longer than necessary to have a baby.

Partnering with a board-certified reproductive endocrinologist, also known as a fertility specialist, is often the first step to overcome trouble conceiving. This type of physician, like the ones at Fertility Specialists of Texas, has completed additional training in reproductive endocrinology and infertility after their obstetrics and gynecology residency. As a result, they have the specialized knowledge and skills to diagnose and treat female and male infertility.

How do you know when to see a fertility specialist?

The American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) generally uses age to help hopeful parents determine when to see a fertility specialist. You can find these guidelines below:

  • If a woman is under age 35, she should meet with a fertility specialist after unsuccessfully trying to conceive for at least one year.
  • For women aged 35 and older, the first appointment with a fertility doctor should occur even sooner, specifically after six months of trying to conceive.

If a woman has irregular periods or a known fertility issue like endometriosis or polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), she should visit a reproductive endocrinologist as soon as she wants to try to have a baby.

Visiting a fertility specialist can help you get the diagnosis and treatment you need to start or grow your family. The first step is knowing when to see a fertility specialist.

No matter where you are on your journey to bring home a baby, know that there is hope and support. Fertility Specialists of Texas is partnering with The Priya Fund at Jewish Family Service of Greater Dallas to help provide resources, education and support to couples hoping to have a baby. Learn more about Fertility Specialists of Texas and The Priya Fund.

Scroll to Top