- This event has passed.
OPEN CLASS: Bi-lingual Food+Fit=Fun hosted by NCJW
February 5, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pmFree
Food + Fit = Fun (FFF) is a bi-lingual, hands-on nutrition and wellness program that provides ways to live a healthier life by eating well, staying active, and having fun. The program was created by the National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Dallas Section, and was developed as a fun, family-centered experience to help combat food insecurity and obesity before they begin.
Why is Food+Fit=Fun needed?
Obesity rates for children have more than doubled over the last 30 years and have quadrupled for adolescents. This is the first generation of children who are likely to live shorter lives than their parents. Today, more than 35 percent of adults are considered obese, and obesity is one of the biggest causes of preventable diseases. In 2015, 48.8 million Americans, including more than 13 million children, lived in households that lacked the financial means to consume nutritious food on a regular basis. With Food + Fit = Fun, you are actively investing in obesity prevention today. The program gives participants the tools to lead healthier, more productive lives through better nutrition and increased physical activity.
Eating right is the most important factor for overall wellness. But where is the best place to start? Our nutrition lessons show participants how to stretch their food dollars while eating healthy. Participants learn about:
• Filling their plates with a colorful variety of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and low-fat dairy
• Making a good breakfast, controlling portion sizes, reading food labels, planning meals, and staying safe in the kitchen
• Limiting sugary beverages and salt
• Creating simple, healthy meals on a budget Physical activity is anything that gets you moving – walking, dancing, or simply using the stairs. With FFF, participants learn how physical activity:
• Improves physical and mental health
• Is heart healthy, improves balance, and strengthens bones and muscles
• Provides an opportunity to enjoy the company of friends and family
• Doesn’t have to cost much And most importantly, participants learn that staying active can be fun!
Please RSVP to info@NCJWdallas.org