Richardson, United States, North America
3006, Vice President Communications, UTD
3006. December 30, 2016
Job Title: Vice President Communications
Dept Number/Name: MANAGEMENT
Position Description and Client Overview:
The Vice President of Communications (VPC) reports directly to the President of the University of Texas at Dallas and serves as a member of the President’s Cabinet. The VPC is responsible for providing strategic leadership to the Office of Communications and supporting the President in advancing the mission of UT Dallas through various communication and marketing initiatives.
The VPC is also responsible for protecting and managing the reputation of The University of Texas at Dallas, and developing and implementing a university-wide strategy that effectively conveys its accomplishments and efforts.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field from an accredited university/college.
- 10-15 years of progressively responsible professional experience which include, but is not limited to, managing communication initiatives, public relations and various forms of effective communication mediums, writing and editing publications, marketing and managing media inquiries.
- 5 years of experience managing budgets.
- 5-7 years of experience managing the work of others.
- Must possess superior written and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work effectively with university leaders and other staff.
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective partner with campus colleagues. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Effective leadership skills and a proven track record of building and developing a successful team, establishing and managing an effective strategy, and developing and implementing innovative initiatives and programs. Demonstrated ability to edit the work of others.
- Experience maintaining confidentiality and handling sensitive communications with discretion.
- Able to think creatively and respond timely to pressing deadlines.
- Strong sense of personal and professional integrity.
Preferred:- Master’s degree or PhD
- 15 plus years’ experience as a senior level Communications professional at a public institution of higher education that is considered high research.
- Broad understanding of and experience with issues and policies in public higher education and within a university system.
- Experience in communication in crisis situations and assisting with crisis management.
- Experience in consensus building and problem solving with stakeholders who have alternative points of view.
-Protecting and managing the reputation of The University of Texas at Dallas, and developing and implementing a university-wide strategy that effectively conveys its accomplishments and efforts in traditional and social media.
- Serve as chief spokesperson for the university, as well as top media advisor to the president and key members of his administration, working proactively to generate media coverage and anticipating and responding to crisis situations.
- Oversee the direction, coordination and integration of the public relations functions of the university into a cohesive effort that conveys a consistent message in support of the university’s mission, brand, strategic goals, and objectives.
- Creating and fulfilling the mission of the Office of Communication and developing and deploying highly effective marketing and communications strategies that address key internal and external stakeholder audiences, including prospective and current students, faculty and staff, alumni, donors, business and community leaders, government officials, news media, and others.
- Advise units that do not report through the central communications office on public relations approach in dealing with potentially sensitive issues.
- Interface directly with the vice presidents, deans, and other campus colleagues to coordinate an integrated approach in achieving the priorities and goals of the university. Guides and collaborates with communications staff in schools and administrative units in developing media relationships, placing stories in the press and responding to queries.
- Oversight of the Office of Communications with the goal of providing strategic leadership that shapes the character, direction and underlying principles guiding the University’s institutional communications.
- Provide strategic oversight to the Marketing Department, News and Media Relations, the Periodicals Office, and University Web Services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, applicant must apply online via theUTD applicant tracking system. A a resume, cover letter and a completedUTD application must be submitted.
Jewish Family Service helps you achieve success in your job search. Call or visit www.jfsdallas.org/972-437-9950 about career and coaching services, job resources & networking.
Apply on-line at: www.utdallas.edu
**Cover letter and resume are required attachments with application**
Open Until Filled